Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday Minute – Home Remedy

If your household is anything like mine, viruses make the rounds pretty quickly. Of course, not quickly enough that we’re all sick at the same time. We each get to have our very own few days of feeling badly and being pampered.j0104548

(Hee Hee! Oh, that was funny! Of course, I didn’t mean to include moms in that bit about being pampered!)

So we are all getting sore throats and fevers. The fabulous nurse practitioners at the Take Care Clinic at Walgreens have given me a home remedy for sore throats. No, it’s not the dreaded warm salt water, it’s something I’d never heard of and wanted to share with you:

  • Mix together equal parts of Liquid Benadryl (generic is Diphenhydramine) and Maalox (generic is Aluminum Hydroxide / Magnesium Hydroxide / Simethicone).
  • For adults, usually about 1 Tablespoon of each; gargle and spit the solution out.
  • For Children, about 1-2 teaspoons of each; gargle and spit the solution out.
  • May be done every 4-6 hours as needed for pain.

Now, I must admit that I have not tried this. (Anybody who knows anything about me, knows that I am the biggest BABY when it comes to liquid medicines. Cough syrups, gargles, anything that doesn’t come in pill form!) However, it MUST be better than the salt water gargle, right?

So if anybody tries this, let me know how it is, okay?

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment