Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday Tidbit- The Legalities of It All


Melissa here, and I've come to the legalities section of the book. OY. So much to look at, think about,to know and know where everything is located. While I will feel much better when I have this section written, I have to tell you, looking at all the things to consider, I am completely overwhelmed (kind of like Karen and Spring Cleaning!) The more I write, the more I think, "Man, I could not begin to imagine having to deal with all of this kind of stuff without my parent's input as to where all the papers are, or what their wishes are on how things are handled." Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to it at any point, but having to sort it out on my own would NOT be pretty. I mean, hey, I'm doing good to keep my OWN papers organized!

One of the big things to consider is knowing where all of the documents are. I tend to be one of those people who puts things in a manila folder and files alphabetically. Yes. My husband makes fun of me. But about six times a year, he stops laughing when after he searches for a particular paper for about three hours, I can find it in the file in less than five minutes. It seems like it could be a lot of work, but if you do it now, it's less headache and stress later.

Now consider this: what happens if all of a sudden your parent goes into the hospital and someone needs to take over making sure the bills get paid in time or making crucial financial decisions for your parent. Would you even know to begin? Would you know where to look for the needed papers? Where DO they keep all their financial and legal (birth cert., property deeds, will, etc) documents?

I know. Overwhelming, right? Hopefully, once we get finished with the book, it won't be.

Yours, wading through the waters for you,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment