Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thursday Thoughts- So, so small!


Why is it with every milestone my children reach they look smaller?

Seriously.

This past Tuesday, after begging to do this all year, and of course, being encouraged by The Hub, who was absolutely NOWHERE around to facilitate this event, my son rode his bike to school. Now, that may not seem like a big deal, but when he's only in third grade and has to cross a major road with FIVE LANES OF TRAFFIC, this becomes the point where I think I need a sedative. I was a wreck all morning, well into the day, and frankly, getting him home wasn't a picnic either.

My son, on the other hand, did amazingly well. He used the cross walks, obeyed the traffic signals, looked both ways every time. My other mommy friends were watching him and helping him along too. All eight of us were beaming with pride. Well, they were beaming. I was ready to puke.

You would think I could cut the cord by now, but I have to tell you, he looked entirely too small next to those cars. I don't think this is going to happen again until at LEAST college.

If he's lucky.

Yours, knowing the days are long, but the years are so, so short,

Melissa

2 comments:

  1. LOL. I feel ya. My 2nd Grader just starting riding his bike to school. He goes with a large group of kids, so I don't worry. I'm a new follower of your blog. Swing by mine sometime! Join the Friday Follow hosted by One2Try and Hearts Make Families tomorrow too. I'll have a post on it tomorrow.

    Bridgette
    Groschen Goblins
    www.groschengoblins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridgette- Thanks for checkin' in! Going over to look at your blog now.

    I have to say, after talking to all the other moms at the school, they all agreed- it's just too young for our kids with the amount of traffic that's encountered. Poor boy. I'm never going to let him grow up. I feel like the Dad in Nemo. . . "Now, Nemo- what do we know about the ocean? . . . It is not a safe place!" :-)

    ReplyDelete