Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesday Tidbit- It never occurred to me. . .


Good morning! Melissa here, working to finish up that legalities section of the book. All I can say is, there's a reason I did not go into law. I actually scored quite well on the personality test. Myers-Briggs said I should become a lawyer or college professor. Yes, I could have made a lot more money for my somewhat debative and analytical nature, but I so much more prefer Beethoven over elder care law. Maybe I should go back to school to become an entertainment lawyer. Hmmmmm . . .

Anyhow, so I'm putting together the list of all the documents you should have in place for your parents. It's rather saddening, really, when you have to think about it, but I'd much rather be prepared when I can look at it while they are healthy and in my mind be saying,"Yes. I will not need this for a very, very long time!" than wait until the need is there and think,"MAN! I should have done this! Now I don't know what to do!"

But here's the thing I never though about. I'm all for being prepared, but I have this habit of preparing things and then "putting it in a special place so I will know exactly where it is when I need it" and forgetting where that place is. Uh, hello! Not good. A resounding thread in all of the research on these papers is to KEEP THEM ACCESSIBLE. Do not keep medical directives in a safety deposit box.

Honestly, that's the first place I would put them, right? Because it's a legal document and I don't want to lose it or ruin it. But you have to have it on hand. And it makes sense because who in their right mind (right mind being the operative phrase, here, which, BTW, I think it's been a long time since that has happened for me. . . but I digress...) will think to or even want to stop by the bank in the middle of an emergency getting their parent to the hospital?

So, in regards to medical directives, keep them accessible. Make copies and give them to your siblings so that someone will have them on hand. Better for four copies to show up at the hospital then none at all and have your parent's wishes completely disregarded.

And in other tidbit news. . . . the sun is shining in St. Louis for the first time in EIGHT. LONG. RAINY Days! YAY for sun! If it's pretty weather where you are, get out and enjoy it!

Yours,

Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment