Monday, October 19, 2009

MONDAY MUSING: MY A-HA MOMENT

Many of you already know that I have been working very hard this year to lose weight, and although I have lost about 28 pounds, it has been a real struggle for me. I’m now on Weight Watchers, I work out 3-4 times per week, and still the weight only s-l-o-w-l-y drops off.

Well, my A-HA moment came last week while I was having lunch with my sister, Margee, and her friend, Anne, who is a Nurse Practitioner at a Neurologist's office. (Anne was in town for their 30th high school medicinereunion. 30th, can you believe it? And the worst thing is, I’m not far behind. Um, no, I won’t tell you how many years until mine!) I was telling Anne how tired I am all the time, so she asked what meds I am currently taking for my migraines. I told her which one I take daily to prevent them and she said (are you ready for this?), “Oh, well that’s why you’re so tired. And did you know that it makes you gain weight?”

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????

So those 17 pounds that I gained in 2008 was NOT due to the fact that I was laid off and not working any more? And the fact that I’ve only lost 28 pounds in 9 1/2 months is because of my MEDS???

AGAIN….ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? IS THIS A CRUEL JOKE?????

Okay, sorry, I’ve regained my composure. Although it would have been nice for my doctor to have mentioned this to me, I suppose I have to own some of the responsibility since I never really read the information that came with it from the drug store.

So I went to my doctor (who, when I mentioned this, was totally nonplussed and just nodded and said “yeah, uh huh”) and we are slowly weaning me off this medicine and starting me on a different med that might help me LOSE weight (oh, yeah, and also help prevent my migraines). The first time I tried this particular medicine I didn’t like the side diet coke effects, so I’m not sure how it will work this time, but I’m determined to try it. The one side effect that I am already seeing is that I can’t stand Diet Coke anymore. No, really! It tastes flat but then my tongue burns after I swallow from the carbonation. It’s really weird. So already I’m missing my Diet Coke. I know, I know, it’s bad for me anyway. Whatever! All I know is that I WANT MY DIET COKE!!! (And yes, that was said in a VERY whiney tone!)

So wish me luck adjusting to the new medicine and getting off the old. But even more, wish me luck for getting off the Diet Coke and caffeine!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment