Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesday Debate- Open Letter to the President

Dear President Obama,


I've been watching the political landscape for quite some time now. As a citizen of the United States, I feel it is my duty to know what's going on with my country. I've watched the heated debate over healthcare issues, the economic bailout and taken part in many discussions on illegal immigration. I have e-mailed my senators and representatives so much I'm surprised they haven't asked me to stop.

Lately, I know you have heard a lot of ruckus about your "Presidentialness". I can certainly appreciate that you want to be in touch with your constituents. I can see why you would want the citizens of the country which you are leading to feel like you understand them; that you're a regular guy, just like most of us. During the campaign, we heard about "Joe Plumber" and how each candidate should know what is best for so many people like him. And I believe you should, and at the core of your intentions do, have our best interests at heart.

But the truth is, Mr. President, I don't want to see you as an ordinary man. I don't want to know all the details of you inviting someone over for a beer to discuss racial tensions. I don't desire to see your most candid moments while you are leading us. I don't want to hear you call someone a jackass (even if he did deserve it, and even if I thought you were right). I don't want to see you on the cover of GQ, looking more like a celebrity than the leader of the free world.

With all due respect, Mr. President, I want to see you as someone who is better than the rest of us. I want you to be brilliant. I want you to always be conscious that someone is going to try to take your words and publish them. I want you to be be nearly superhuman. I want to see you on the cover of Time, because that is a serious magazine, where brilliant thinkers, history makers and world changers reside. I don't want to see you as someone "just like me". Because truthfully, Mr. President, if you are just like me, then heaven help us all if someone just like me is running the country.

When your presidency is complete, I will read your memoirs. I will look at pictures of you The First Lady and think,"Wow. I wonder what they were thinking in that moment." I will read the interviews of your daughters and contemplate what it was like growing up in The White House. I'll be ready then. I know four years is a long time to be so publicly perfect. It's no small accomplishment. But until that time, I hope, and believe, that you will make the most of the gift of being Presidential.

Best Wishes,

Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, well I'm hoping you didn't watch him on David Letterman last night........... sheesh!

    ReplyDelete