Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BEST. BOOKS. EVER!

One thing to know about me is that I love to read. But I love MINDLESS reading. I don’t want to learn, or be challenged, or improve myself. I just want to be entertained. I won’t read straight romance, but I love mysteries with that bit of romance intertwined in the story. (Yes, I know, they always start off not liking each other, then somehow one touch explodes into a fiery, passionate love affair. Sigh!)

I also love comedies. I would SO much rather laugh while I’m reading than cry (although, I just read The Art Of Racing In The Rain and loved bitter_smallit even though I cried at the end). So I have to tell you about Jen Lancaster’s books. She doesn’t know me from Adam and has not asked me to review her books, I just feel compelled to let you all know about her.

The first 2 books, Bitter Is The New Black and Bright Lights, Big Ass, are basically about her life, as she goes from Money-Maker-Designer-Wearer-Prada-Carrier to Unemployed to Book Writer. The third book is all about her weight loss journey in Such A Pretty Fat. And her fourth book, which I’m reading now, is Pretty in Plaid, and is all about how prettyinplaid_small she grew up to become a “Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-Ass.”

I LOVE her writing style, not only because she’s sassy, or in her words, snarky (love that!), but because she’s talking to the reader. She not just telling a story, she’s telling ME a story. And she is just SO DANG FUNNY!! All throughout her books, she uses footnotes. Kind-of like the way I use parentheses, giving you a thought in mid-sentence. For example, if she writes something that she just knows you’ll have a comment about, her footnote will say “Shut Up!” Okay, I’m not doing it justice!

For a taste of her writing style, visit her blog, Jennsylvania. I will warn you that she uses cuss words. Not a ton, but they pop out fairly often! So be sure to let me know how you like the books, if you can stop laughing long enough to comment here!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment