Monday, September 28, 2009

OH, GROW UP AND BE A MAN!

I don’t want to get on a male-bashing tirade, but seriously, why do men act like babies when they get sick? Did their mothers coddle them too much? Uh, oh, does that mean I’m setting up my own boys to be big babies for their wives when they get sick? Should I just tell them sick man2to “suck it up” and “be a man” when they have a fever? Okay, obviously I won’t do that, but I sure would like to say that to my DH!

After all, when I get sick, there certainly isn’t anyone around to take care of me, is there? I’m still expected to carry on with my mommy-duties as if everything was fine and normal. I don’t get time off when I’m sick, do you? But the really funny thing is that DH doesn’t see this at all. He somehow has this convoluted idea that I lay around all day and night when I’m not feeling well, and he does everything around the house for me and the kids. Is he kidding?

Okay, I sound like I’m whining. And I guess I am male-bashing a bit, or at least DH-bashing! And although there have been times when he overreacted a bit (Once he had a cold and seriously thought he was dying and should go to the emergency room! No, really!), he definitely is sick this time. So I should be much more sympathetic, right? After all, he is my husband and I do love him, and I did promise to care for him in sickness and in health and blah, blah, blah.

(Shoot, there I go again. I’d better stop before somebody shows this to him!)

So I want to know: Is it just me or do other wives go through this also? Please give me some hope that my boys won’t turn out this way!

Karen

1 comment:

  1. It's not just you. And I think that "grow up and be a man" are two mutually exclusive ideals. Seriously. Personally, I think men are just older boys with more expensive toys. You can't help but love them because they just act so stupid sometimes it's just endearing. I think as women, we must have this need to nurture and as men, they have a need to BE nurtured. Still makes me want to give them a good kick in the pants though when they're being ridiculous.

    Oh and those marriage vows? In sickness and health, yes. But in hypochondria, over exaggeration, and health? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete