Wednesday, September 30, 2009

CALLING ALL NUTRITIONISTS AND DIET EXPERTS!

As most of you know, I have been working very hard this year to lose weight and get in shape. So far I’ve lost about 27 pounds. But I’m getting a bunch of conflicting information between the gym and Weight Watchers and just what I think I know to be true.exercise

I went to a nutrition class at my gym a couple of weeks ago (WHY won’t I ever learn that although I may discover a few facts, these classes are really just a ruse to get me to buy something?) and I basically learned that I’m not eating enough. It sounds reasonable: by not eating enough, especially on the days I work out, I am effectively putting my body in starvation mode and lowering my metabolism. Okay, now let’s hop on over to WW, where they are saying to eat X number of points, each point being approximately 50 calories, and if you work out, great, you’ll burn more calories. But it’s not necessary to eat more on those days, even though I “earn” points by exercising.

And everything I’ve been taught in my 40-something years is “eat less and you’ll lose weight.”

So which is it? Can somebody out there explain this to me because I am REALLY CONFUSED!

Karen

1 comment:

  1. I discoverd recently that there are certain things we are putting into our bodies that are destroying our metabolism and no matter how many points we earn or work out in the long run it cannot counter balance the harmful effects. The consumption of them over the years leads to very sick bodies. I have tried to change my nutrition in the following ways. Elimated artificial sweetners, no high fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenated oil of any kind (be careful they change the name on this one), avoid processed or refined anything, use organic if it is on the dirty dozen list. Pesticides are killing us! I limit my meat consumption, but if I do have it, I make sure it is range free, grass fed, no hormones or antibiotics added and wild caught fish, not farmed. I avoid unhealthy fats but eat healthy ones, such as olive oil. Eat clean. Eat real food, not fake. I exercise 3 - 5 times a week, but I don't kill myself at the gym. I don't count calories, I don't feel deprived. I have lost 14 pounds in a couple of months and I can honestly say I don't feel like I am dieting. Warning: You will have to do a little studying and become a reader of labels. FDA approved and/or USDA does not mean that it is good for you.

    ReplyDelete