Wednesday, July 13, 2011

WHO SIGNED ME UP FOR CUB SCOUT CAMP???

Okay, I admit it, I’m the one who signed myself up to help out at cub scout camp. (No, not overnight camp. You must know by now that I DON’T CAMP!!! This is just day camp.) But when I signed up, it was lovely spring weather. Yes, you’re right, Icamp should have been thinking ahead. St. Louis in July is rather predictable. However this week is anything BUT. 100 degree days with heat indexes of 110+. UNBELIEVABLE!!! And to make it worse, I signed up for TWO days!

So yesterday was my first volunteer day. I don’t think I have ever been so hot for so long in my life! I have never had so much sweat pouring off my body in one day. Normally, I would say that Jewish Women don’t sweat, we glow. But honey, there was no glowing yesterday! There were buckets of sweat. (Don’t tell the other members of the tribe, please!)

It was so bad, that when we got to the pool, I just jumped in with all my clothes on! I brought my suit, but I figured, this way, I would remain cooler the rest of the day with wet clothes. Actually, it somewhat worked, and I think I’ll do it again on Friday!

cub scoutNow the boys, bless their little hearts, were really troopers. We kept encouraging them to pour water on themselves and to drink as much as possible. And really, there was very little whining, which surprised the heck out of me! I was so proud of them! They seemed to hold up better than the adults. But definitely, by the end of the day, we were all slow and drooping and ready to go home.

Well, I get a couple of day’s rest, then back again on Friday. The light at the end of the tunnel: This is their last year of cub scouts. Once they’re in boys scouts, Dad gets to take over. WOO HOO!!!

Karen

 

1 comment:

  1. Dad takes over? I'm pretty sure that's what you said about Cub Scouts.

    ReplyDelete