Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Timetable On GUILT!

Is there an expiration on Guilt? Because there should be. I grew up Jewish, so already I have the corner on Guilt, but then I’m a Mom, so add another dose on top of that. My late husband was Catholic (yes, that in itself added Guilt to my life, that I married non only a non-Jew, but a Catholic), so I learned, and adopted, Catholic Guilt (which, I must admit, goes head to headashamed puppy with the Jews on the Guilt meter).

I have it from all directions, folks. It’s inescapable!

So why am I bringing this up? My niece is having her Bat Mitzvah this weekend and one of our cousins is coming in town who my sisters and I haven’t seen in probably a good 20 years or so. We can’t wait. We are SO excited to see her! But my excitement is tempered by one small (huge to me) incident that happened in 1986 that I still feel Guilty about.

Yes, you heard me right…1986. She’s probably forgotten all about it, but I haven’t. 26 years I’ve been carrying this around with me (did I do the math right?). So what do I do? Do I bring it up and apologize? Do I ignore it? I can’t ignore it. It’s like an elephant in the room that nobody can see but me. But it’s there! I have to bring it up. Okay, it’s settled, I’m apologizing for it.

Okay, thanks for letting me work that out! I have SO many other things that I feel Guilty about, at least that will be one less item on The Guilt List!

Guilt Sucks!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment