Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Thoughts- Go Ahead! Ask!

So after Tuesday's post, I've been trying to listen more, talk less and not sweat the small stuff (read: constant whining when they don't get their way, as is such the case as I'm typing this post. But I'm not sweating it. I've sent The Hub in to deal with the mouths).

As the school year is approaching, I am more and more aware of my children's ages and how much I need to be involved in their lives- beyond making sure they are getting their homework completed and staying out of trouble. Recently, I found a lecture I went to on "Why Good Kids Go Bad"- a lecture given by a criminal lawyer (Thank you, Parents as Teachers for this presentation!)
It becomes more important every year to fight this next objective:

CLUELESSNESS.

About what, you may ask? Know your child- their likes, dislikes, habits, hopes, dreams... they may be a insignificant as,"I hope I find a Disney Silly Band" to "I hope I become president some day." And while you can find out a lot about your kid, what about their friends? How well do you know their friends (and the friend's parents)? How much do your families have in common? What do the kids do when they are together? Especially at the friend's house?

You might hesitate to start poking around, thinking,"My kid's a good kid. He'll know what to do." You know, a lot of kids are really good kids that sometimes get curious. Or tempted. Or just really didn't realize what was happening before it was too late.

So ask questions. Don't be afraid. Their business is your business. That's why you're the parent, right? Don't hesitate to find out everything that is going on in their beautiful lives in a very loving, non-condemning way. It's as simple as ,"What did you do today?" or "Really? Tell me what you like about that..."

Go ahead. Ask. You'll be glad you did.

Yours, asking all kinds of questions!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment