Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Leaving Your Child With Someone Else

After Karen's post about finding a nanny yesterday, we had several comments (although only one soul was brave enough to post) about leaving your child in the care of someone else. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in the minority by having sitters. There are many people who choose to stay with their children over working. There are people who do not have the option to choose.
Prior to having my son, I had a list of sitters lined up a mile long. The instant I gave birth, it completely changed. The next day I remember having the thought,"WHAT was I thinking?!?!?!?! I can't leave my precious baby with THEM!" After leaving the hospital it was 2 1/2 weeks before I even left the house and it was only at my husband's insistence. Even then we simply took a drive and went to Sonic because I could not take my beautiful, clean, ungermed baby near anyone who might have the hint of a sniffle. Looking back now, I realize how ridiculous I was, but at the same time, I completely understand why I was that way.

The fact is, we love our babies. Love them. Would lay down our lives in a heartbeat for them. And woe unto the person who comes between me and my child. Or threatens my child. Or hurts my child (unless my child hurt them first, but you get the idea!)

But the question remains, what makes me think that I can give my child the very best, infallible care twenty four hours a day without EVER having a break? What terrifies me so much that I feel like only I can be the one to take care of them?

Don't get me wrong- I had the gift of having my sister care for my kids and my mother was nearby as well. But I was still scared as heck, asking them tons of questions every time I picked them up and leaving a bunch of instructions that could not possibly be followed, even by myself!

And I still have not conquered all of my fears. Why do you think we wrote that book? Because we wanted EVERYTHING to be there for the best care for our children. But still, I won't let them ride the school bus (because it's a different driver some days and there are no seat belts and how can ONE person watch 60 kids AND drive?!?!?!?) And I still make them lunches so they get a healthy lunch and I still am ALL UP IN THEIR BUSINESS at school.

But I still have to wonder what makes me think I can do it all and do it better than anyone else?

I would LOVE to hear some thoughts on this from you, dear readers.

Yours, awaiting your insights,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment