Thursday, April 1, 2010

Getting Ready for Easter


Earlier this week I sat down and thought about my week. It's a big week for us at the B House because we celebrate Easter. It has become an annual tradition to have it here because we have a larger backyard for all of the activities.

After attending church and celebrating, the entire family (all 20 of us) will have dinner here and then an egg hunt for the little ones, a scavenger hunt for the HS and College crowd and then a massive Silly String War for everyone- grandmas and grandpas included!

I am proud to say that almost all of shopping is complete and today is my cleaning day- instead of the usual wait until the day before and panic completely because I have VERY. Little. Done. My goal this year is to get as much enjoyment out of the family celebration as I can. The kids are growing up and I want to enjoy all of them- my nieces, nephews, my own little bears, even the neighbor kids who might come over.

We also celebrate all of the Spring Birthdays, so of course, in addition to a TON of Easter treats, there will be cake and ice cream. Love me some homemade cake! I did, however, want to share a recipe for a new treat coming to the table. In the spirit of the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, I give you:

Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats

1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
6 oz. semi-sweet choc chips
6 oz. butterscotch chips

Grease a 9x13 baking pan. combine sugar and corn syrup (really, aren't they the same thing???) in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat-STIRRING CONSTANTLY.As soon as it boils, stir in the peanut butter and then the rice krispies. Press into the pan.

Melt the chips and spread over the top of the krispies in the pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

No, Karen, this is not part of the Weight Watchers plan (which by the way, folks, KAREN LOOKS FABULOUS!!!!!!) But the part of the WW plan that you will love is this: after indulging a little bit in the treats, SEND THE REST HOME WITH YOUR GUESTS. That way, temptation is eliminated and you have had your fun for the day. Brilliant, I say. Simply brilliant.

Yours, hoping you enjoy your Easter Holiday,

Melissa

PS.- if anyone is looking for the Easter Story Cookie Recipe, I have it. This makes a divinity like cookie, but you make it with your kids and each step of the recipe relates back to Scripture and the Easter Story. You can e-mail me at melissa@karmelpublishing and I will be happy to pass it on to you. It's another one of our Easter Traditions that we love.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that looks good. You MUST save me a (small) piece!

    ReplyDelete