Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thursday Thoughts-Free Time

So I've been encountering this, shall we say, phenomenon, lately.  Basking in the thought of my children returning to school, my husband looks at me and says,"So honey, what ARE you going to do with all of that FREE time?"

The same thing happened to a girlfriend of mine. And then to Karen. 

Do any of those Y Chromosome People understand that that is a PERFECT way to get an instant Personal Safety Day?

Because, you know, when the kids aren't around, I just lay about the house, twiddling my thumbs, longing for a nose to wipe, a meal to clean up after, yearning to complete the laundry.
Never mind that I actually have paying jobs. But I guess those don't count because, you know, I'm at home most of the day.

So today, I went to my tiny little office  where I teach. It's a shared office, an  a colleague of mine, whom I simply adore, was already there. We began talking and he looked at me with his mischievous eyes and sly grin and said,"So Melissa, now that the kids are back in school, what are you going to do with all your FREE time?!" 

I just looked at him and said,"Tell me, PLEASE tell me you did not say that to your beautiful wife on the first day of school."

"ARE YA KIDDIN' ME?!" he replied. "Melissa, I turned 50 this summer, and there are a few things I've learned you just don't say to your wife. And THAT is definitely one of them."

Now you know why I adore him. I just hope that I don't have to wait for my darling hubby to turn 50 before he learns that lesson. Otherwise, it might be a long decade with a lot of personal safety days.

Yours, burning all my FREE TIME,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment