Wednesday, April 4, 2012

WHAT TO SAY IF YOUR CHILD IS OVERWEIGHT.

Did anybody read that article in Vogue from that woman who put her 7 year old daughter on a diet? Yeah, I didn’t either, and I can’t find it, but I read about it on several blogs. One of my favorite blogs is Does This Blog Make Us Look Fat? Love. This. Blog! Here, Rebecca Regnier points us to an article about the Vogue article which really spells it out.

The bottom line is it’s not the fact that this woman put her daughter on a diet, it’s the way she did it. It’s the hurtful words she used and the inconsistency which she maintained and the poor example she showed. It was horrific in my opinion, and apparently the opinion of many others.

I don’t have daughters as you know, but I have twin boys. And one boy is rail thin, while the other, while nowhere near fat, is a bit chunkier than his brother. It’s a very delicate situation to make sure they both make healthy choices, yet I want the thinner one to consume more calories. I have a very tough situation in my household, but I would NEVER call my other son fat, ever, in a million years.

Rebecca from Does This Blog Make Us Look Fat (don’t you just love that name?) has a great graphic which really answers the following question perfectly:

And she follows it up with this:

And then mom – look at yourself. Your child won’t do what you say but will see what you do and model that. Educate yourself about healthy eating and then eat that way, keep good choices in the house, get outside and play, praise a child for their accomplishments, and don’t let them have soda pop. The end.

Enough said! Thanks Rebecca!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment