Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Madness- A Great Way To Say It

My kids are growing up. We're beginning to hit some of those moments that make parents a little nervous. (Just wait until you read the Friday Funny this week. I nearly drove off the road!)

I was talking with a fellow parent whose child recently became interested in a subject that let her mom know that she was growing up a little bit. She was relaying the story to me and I said,"Oh my goodness! What did you say?!" And she replied:

If you are interested in something, ask me about it. I'm happy to talk about it with you no matter what it is. I know you are going to ask your friends, but they may have the wrong information and it might cause you to get hurt. They're just finding out about things too so they don't always have it right. I don't want to see you get hurt. So just ask me and we'll talk about it. 

Wow. Simple. To the point. No pressure, no judgement, no boundaries. I went home and found my own Z2. I said the same thing to her. (I did add, "It might take me a minute, but just stay with me and we'll get through it. :)   But what a great way to explain to your kids that you want them to come to you- for their safety. Don't be embarrassed, don't feel ashamed... it's all normal and we'll get through it. 

Yours, working through those growing up questions,

Melisssa

No comments:

Post a Comment