Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday Madness: It takes a DEADLINE.

We were sitting on the couch, The Hubs and I. Resting from beginning his latest project, he asked,"When are you going to believe me when I say that I am going to do something?"


"What do you mean?" I replied, slightly confused. "You usually do... when you say you are going to..."
We had just finished taking out the wet bar and tearing down the wall that separated the living room and kitchen. He made me karate kick the dry wall down. I felt like Sif from Thor


However, when the project was started, he was not in such a good mood. He was frustrated that the bar had not been packed. Having been through this type of thing before, I simply got brought him some necessary items and then said,"I'm going to get out of your way, but I'll be in the dining room working on my class prep if you need anything." A wise wife knows when to go in the other room, keep herself occupied and pray. It came out later that he was angry with me for not being ready to work on the bar. Of course, I didn't know that he planned on working on it at that exact moment (reading minds is not one of Sif's Goddess attributes) and so he was angry with me that I had not done what he had asked me to do.

Or did he? I recall him asking,"Honey, can you pack up the bar?" a few days ago. "Well, yeah. I can get that done." I said. "Okay," he said and walked away.
There was no mention of when. No words such as,"I'd like to take the wetbar out on Sunday afternoon and I will need it to be packed up by then."


When he explained that to me as we were sitting on the couch, that that's what he had MEANT when he asked if I could... meaning to do it right away... I couldn't help but giggle. 


"Honey," I said, choosing my words cautiously,"Just because you asked if I could, doesn't really imply to me that you want me to do it right away. I need a deadline. I am inspired by DEADLINES. Just because I didn't do it right away does not mean I don't believe you. It just means I didn't know when you wanted it done because you didn't tell me."


Yet ANOTHER clear example of the gap in communication that exists between The X Chromosome People and The Sif. 


Yours, wondering if that gap might ever be bridged,


Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment