Monday, February 1, 2010

GYM ETIQUETTE!

I know it’s January, and all you people have made these grandiose New spin classYears Resolutions to lose weight and get into shape, but do you have to do it at MY gym? Let me tell you, I am NOT HAPPY when I can’t get a bike at spin class, even though I show up a good 10 minutes early. (Well, okay, maybe only 3 minutes early sometimes, but that’s not really the point here, is it?)

So even though I know that most of you will be gone in another month or so, I feel it’s my duty (for my own sanity) to give you some Gym Etiquette Guidelines:

  1. In the locker room, mind your space. This means, do not spread your stuff out on the bench like you’re the only one there. There is one bench in each row for about 75 lockers, so YOU ARE NOT gym locker room ALONE! If you go to the shower, either take your stuff with you, or put it back in your locker. When you leave, put your towel in the bin. Nobody else wants to touch your sweaty towel, believe me! Oh, and I know it’s a locker room, but please cover up. It makes some people a bit uncomfortable when you walk around in the buff. Save that for home.
  2. If you are saving a bike or a place in a class for somebody else, that’s perfectly fine, up until 5 minutes before the class starts. Then give it up for someone who really wants to be there. There is nothing more frustrating (okay, there are a lot more frustrating things than this, but I’m trying to make a point) than your friend not showing up and a bike or a space going unused in class.
  3. This one I cannot stress enough: wipe off your equipment aftergym you use it. Nobody wants to use your sweaty barbells or get on a wet cardio machine after you. Really!
  4. You all know to use deodorant, right? Here’s another one. Do NOT try to cover up body odor with perfume or aftershave. Sweat and sweet do not mix, and we really don’t want to smell it. Ever.

Okay, I think these are the high points. As somebody who has been working very, very hard to lose weight and get into shape, I applaud all you newbie's at my gym. Really! Just remember your manners and we’ll get along just fine!

Oh, and keep up the good work!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment