Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday Tidbit- And now a little something Yummy!


It's Tuesday, and here at The Caregiver Organizer, we are working hard to get that new website done. So there's little time for anything else like taking care of our families' laundry and cooking dinner. Being winter, I'm a huge fan of crock pot dinners. HUGE. (Did I mention I LOVE crock pot dinners?) There's something so comforting about them. Now, if your family is anything like mine, getting everyone to agree on the same meal is somewhat of a supernatural act. Seriously. What one loves, the other hates. What one welcomes, the other refuses to eat.

A long, long time ago I gave up being a short order cook. Call me mean, I don't care, but I stick by this rule: This ain't Mel's Diner. It's Momma's. You can either eat it or go hungry. Its rare that they simply refuse dinner, but there can be some grousing. I do have a few dinners up my sleeve that each and every member of my family loves, and I'd like to post one for you today.

Of COURSE, it's a Crock Pot dinner (did I mention how much I LOVE my crock pot?) The glory of the crock pot is you toss it all in, set it on low and in eight hours, Viola! Dinner! Here's a fabulous soup for you to try this week:

KANSAS CITY STEAK SOUP

3 cups water
2 small onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 carrots, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp pepper
1 10-16 oz. bag of frozen vegetables
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
2-4 TBSP beef bouillon granules (or 4-5 cubes)

Put all ingredients in a crock pot. Cover. Cook on low 8 hours.

Make a roux of 1/2 cup of butter and 1/2 cup of flour (no, Karen, don't do this part. It will TOTALLY blow the Weight Watchers thing, but I think it makes the soup!) Pour it into the crock pot and cook on hi for another half hour until the soup is thickened.

Yes, even your kids will eat it.

Yours, hoping you enjoy,

Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment