Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thursday Thoughts- What We'd Miss

Today I was talking to a friend of mine (yes, I actually have friends, can you believe it?). We were talking about meeting the needs of a large group of people with varying age levels. It seemed that there were some people within the group who wanted to do one thing, and another faction who wanted another way and so on. And it seemed that there was always a certain faction getting their way. It came down to age and the group wanting to be current. Youthful. Youth oriented.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to be current and relevant. However, when you begin excluding major sections of society in an effort to become more relevant, aren't you excluding the people who carried you there in the first place? I can't imagine not having the influence of an older generation in my life. Think of all the things we would have missed. The WWII generation is one of the finest generations of our time. Their work ethic, perseverance, rebuilding of the nation from what seemed like nothing in the midst of horrendous loss, their sense of dignity and honor. . . I could go on and on.

I love being modern, contemporary, forward thinking. But let's not forget how we got here, folks.

Yours, pondering this for a bit,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment