Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday Madness- One Week Left

Only one week left. Most of you know of what I speak. The oncoming storm- and I'm not referring to Hurricane Sandy- rivals any other political campaigning week. And if you think it's bad in The Lou, you should try Chicago! Merciless does not begin to describe!

And the conversations on facebook- whoa. People are really beginning to get nasty about things. While I understand there is a lot to debate, I'd like to offer up a few points to consider:

1.) Debate, but don't get ugly.  I've seen true friendships ruined by political differences. There is no reason for namecalling, arrogance or slamming someone in the name of satire or whit.

2.) Did I say arrogance? Yes. People! Take the high road! Conviction is admirable, but when it comes off as an "I know so much better than you" attitude, well, I cease to listen.

3. Listen to what the other person is saying before you write them off. In our school district, all of the kids are learning the seven habits of highly effective people, one of which is: seek to understand, then be understood.  I wonder what would happen if we all did that with each other? I know it doesn't mean we are going to agree and life will be nirvana, but we might get a whole lot closer. 

4.) Discussion is key. See point #1. Discussion, not arguing, not lamblasting, not fighting. Discussion. 

And if you happen to be in the Northeast, hunker down and stay safe. You've got it going on on all fronts!

Yours, counting the days until the election is complete,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment