Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Honey Boo WHAT???

So we’re flipping through channels the other night (and the fact that we have over 1000 channels and still there is nothing to watch is an entirely different post!) and we come across the show Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

Have you ever seen this? What am I missing? Because I REALLY don’t get it. If this little girl is supposed to be a “beauty queen,” then I should think about entering my son, because he could do better than her in ALL categories: poise, talent AND looks!

Okay, I really hate to be snarky here, but this must be a joke, right? The episode I watched (or as much of it that we could stomach before we just had to switch to another, equally stupid but less disturbing, reality show) was about one of her sisters, a teenager mind you, having her own baby. Yes, we’re watching a show about a child, with no boyfriend that I could see, having a child. There was no lesson to be learned here, no Dr. Phil moment, no motherly advice about how wrong it was. (Although there was a brief moment where Mom asked Daughter about how much pain she was in and said something like, “See what a bad idea this was?” Uh huh.) And throughout it all, Alana (aka “Honey Boo Boo”) is whining that she wants to see the baby (double thumbs and all!) and how excited she is. It was like a big party!

So back to Honey Boo Boo. First of all, what’s with the name? In fact, they ALL have weird nick names. Secondly, being in pageants is expensive, so how do they afford this? Have you seen their house? (Sorry, getting snarky again. But maybe they could put some of that money towards cleaning up their house and getting parenting and nutrition classes to clean up their family. Just sayin…)

And now Rosie O’Donnell wants to renovate Honey Boo Boo’s home for her. I have nothing to add to that. I’m stunned.

I’m all for seeing how a family less fortunate lives, and how they manage to keep it all together and make ends meet, etc. But I feel like if that’s the show, then help the family get ahead in a productive way. Don’t just put them out there for the world to laugh at. And I’m pretty sure that when people aren’t gaping with their jaws on the floor, that’s what they’re doing – laughing.

I think I’ll switch the channel now!

Karen

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I can't evrn go there. Class is not a socioeconomic level. It's knowing when to tuck it in and use a filter.

    ReplyDelete