Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reflections on the Ten Year Anniversary of 9/11

It was quite a weekend. Solemn, reflective... remembering and feeling the intense wounds all over again of everything that was taken from us as a nation that day.

There is nothing that could be said or done that would make it all okay in the end. Even when President Obama announced they had killed bin Laden, it didn't bring me any sense of justice or vindication. Not that I want him to be around to bring more terror, by any means, but the whole things feels utterly senseless. I try to understand it, and I just can't.

But here is something I do know... things I did see this past Sunday. I saw people coming together and honoring the memory of the fallen. I saw people make time to display their patriotism, flying the flag, proud to be Americans. I saw people stopping for each other, random acts of kindness, expressing thanks to civil servants and first responders. I watched many recounts of that day on television, and in the midst of something absolutely horrific and incomprehensible, people stopped to save each other, help each other, protect each other. The news reports of the children of 9/11 were the hardest. Watching these children speak about the parents they will never know, simply because of someone's hatred. But I also saw the impact that people had on other people's lives. That is a priceless gift. I would not say it was an equal trade by any means. But I'm grateful to find something beautiful in the midst of something so devestating.
Never forget.
Always remember.

Remember who you are, and from what nation you come. Remember what our freedom has already cost us... and continues to cost us today. Remember the people who protect and serve on a daily basis. Remember that we are all in this together, and one day, it may be the kindness of an absolute stranger that saves you. Remember how as a nation we came together to heal. Work toward coming together again.

Never forget.
Always remember.

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment