Monday, October 4, 2010

Running, Life and Writing Books


I ran my first half marathon this Sunday. Not something I had ever wanted to do, but I got talked into it, and so, once I committed, i had to follow through. It took me about 2 hours, 45 minutes, so I had a lot of time to think. It occurred to me that running a race is a whole lot like pursuing any dream....



1.) It takes discipline- You've got to train. It's a lot easier if you do.
2.) You're bound to hurt some- Mile 10? Oh my word! I thought my bottom was literally going to fall off! And walking afterwards, I looked like a little, old lady. But it was still very much worth it.
3.) You'll pull strength from places you didn't know you had it- Even though I was dying, when I heard the DJ broadcasting about 1/4 mile from the finish, I broke into a dead sprint. Where the heck did THAT come from? Or the determination in mile 7 when it was all uphill. Didn't know I had it in me.
4.) There will be surprises- like when the scale says I GAINED 7 pounds instead of losing. (Personally, I think it's time to get a new scale).
5.) If there are people in wheelchairs competing, as well as blind people running with seeing partners, and I am whole and healthy, I need to shut my mouth and stop complaining. Seriously.
6.) Staying the course and crossing the finish is the best feeling EVER!- 'Nuf said.
7.) And finally, my most favorite-

IF IT WERE EASY, EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT.

So if you've got a dream, what are you waiting for????

Yours, thinking I actually might be hooked on this running gig,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment