Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Can I Brag?

Now I don't want to be one of "those" moms who talks about their children nonstop, and I think I'm pretty good about that. But every so often, one of them does something so great, I am just busting at the seams to tell someone ... anyone ... EVERYone!

I have twin 8 year old boys I'll call A and E. This story is about E. I just happened to be volunteering in his classroom this morning when the school counselor came in and asked to take E and another boy out of the room to talk. So, of course, my first question is "What did he do?" (Why is that always the first question for moms of boys? Do moms of girls do that, too?) She told me he didn't do anything, he was fine, and not to worry. Yeah, right! I gave her that "What aren't you telling me?" look until she gave me a tidbit. She said that there was a bit of trouble at recess yesterday and that E stood up for somebody. Hmmm. MY E?

So I waited until E came home, and immediately pounced on him for the whole story. Apparently, there were a few boys who had been teasing one of E's classmates, who I'll call H. They were calling him names and taunting him, under the pretense of playing tag. Now, keep in mind that the boys doing the teasing are friends of E, and H is really not a good friend. But my E said that he wanted to be on H's team for tag, and that they should stop bullying him. My little 8 year old showed compassion and strength for this other little boy.

(sniff, sniff)

Does this mean I'm actually doing something right?

Dang, I love my kids!


Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment