Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Please, please eat it!

When did I become the mom who makes one dinner for the adults and another dinner for the kids? Didn't I swear on a stack of cookbooks that I would NEVER do that? Didn't I tell myself that if they don't like what I make, that's just too bad? What part of my brain decided that if they went to bed hungry, I was a terribly mommy?

Somehow, I fell into that awful, awful pattern of making something different for my boys. Now, don't get me wrong, I only do it if I KNOW they won't eat what I am making for my husband and I. So that's not too bad, right? I said, RIGHT???

Well, I found a magical recipe! Not only do the boys like it, but even my husband does (and believe me, he's just as picky as the kids). AND I get spinach into them. Yes, you heard right, SPINACH!

Now, I will share my magic with you...

Chicken and Rice

1 lb. chicken filets – cut into bite-size pieces
1 T oil
(I left this out and used Pam)
4 C fresh baby spinach leaves
1 ½ c uncooked Minute Rice
1 can drained tomato wedges (optional, but they do add flavor)
2 green onions, sliced (optional)
1 can chicken broth
1/3 C Parmesan cheese
(Use your favorite seasoning on chicken before cooking.)
Salt and Pepper to taste

In skillet, add oil and chicken pieces and cook thoroughly. Add chicken broth, rice, and green onion and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, add spinach and tomato wedges. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until most liquid is gone and rice is fluffy, stirring occasionally. DO NOT OVERCOOK OR IT WILL BE DRY! (Believe me, I know!) Sprinkle cheese on top and serve.

I know, I know, you're thinking, that looks boring. You're right! Boring, yet nutritional. That's what I strive towards. If it's too exciting, my kids and my husband just look at it with that "What in the world is that and do you really expect me to eat it?" look on their faces. In this recipe, the spinach shrivels up so small, I just tell them it's seasoning. And they believe me!

So enjoy my magical, boring, nutritional recipe. I'm trying to figure out how I can make it every night without them realizing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment