Wednesday, May 16, 2012

5th GRADE GRADUATION. HUH?

When did “graduating” from 5th grade become such a big deal? In my day, we went to grade school through 6th grade, Junior High until 9th grade, then High School until 12th grade. Now it’s Elementary School through 5th grade, Middle School through 8th grade, then finish off with High School. Okay, that’s fine. But we had no celebrations until we actually graduated. You know, High School. 12th grade. On to college or work or whatever. Adulthood.

My kids are completing 5th grade this year and you’d think they were at the end of their schooling, what with the huge deal we’re making over this! Don’t get me wrong, I’m a little teary-eyed over the fact that they’re going to Middle School next year and they’re not my little babies anymore. But all this celebrating is just a little over the top if you ask me. Which obviously nobody did!

We have things going on for the entire next week for our kiddos: a memory book with a page that everyone filled out with questions and pictures (do NOT volunteer for this – believe me on this one!), a CD with pictures set to music, a musical and a half day celebration with a pizza party, just to name a few. (But for some odd reason, our school actually doesn’t have a graduation ceremony, although other elementary schools in our district do, so I don’t know what’s up with that.)

So I just want to know, why didn’t I get anything like this when I was growing up? I feel very deprived!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment